eToro is an online forex and CFDs broker that offers trading services through the web and mobile devices. You can trade over 2,000 financial instruments including CFDs on forex cryptocurrencies, stocks, indices, ETFs and commodities.
eToro was launched in 2007 and has a social trading network, where members can follow and copy other members’ trading actions in real-time. The network provides a place for traders to discuss the financial markets, and share insights and ideas.
Our eToro review covers the trading conditions, fees, deposit/withdrawals and customer support on the platform.
|eToro Review Summary|
|Broker Name||eToro Australia|
|Address||eToro AUS Capital Limited. Level 19 , 9 Hunter Street Sydney NSW 2000 Australia|
|Regulation||ASIC, FCA, CySEC, FSA Seychelles|
|Trading Platforms||eToro Trader available on the Web and Mobile Apps (Android, & iOS)|
- Regulated by the FCA
- Supports copy trading
- Offers commission-free trading
- Offers free insurance of up to $1 million
- Offers a wide range of instruments to trade
- Charges fees for withdrawals
- Charges inactive account fees
- Customer support not available 24/7
- Charges commission on cryptocurrencies trade
Is eToro Safe?
eToro is considered a safe trading platform because they are regulated by ASIC in Australia and other Top-Tier financial regulators.
eToro was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Australia. The subsidiaries of eToro and their regulations in various jurisdictions are shown below:
1) Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC): eToro AUS Capital Limited is authorized by ASIC to offer financial services in Australia, with ACN (Australian Company Number) 612791803, issued in 2016.
2) Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), United Kingdom: eToro (UK) Ltd is authorized by the Financial Conduct Authority to offer financial services in the UK with reference number 583263, issued in 2013.
3) Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission (CySEC): eToro (Europe) Ltd is regulated in Europe by CySEC as an investment firm and they serve their European clients through this license and a dedicated domain: etoro.eu. Their license number is 178/12 issued in 2012.
4) Financial Services Authority (FSA), Seychelles: eToro (Seychelles) Ltd is registered in Seychelles and regulated by the FSA as a security dealer since 2021.
The leverage on eToro varies depending on whether you are a retail or professional trader, and the instrument you are trading.
The maximum leverage on eToro for retail clients is 1:30. This means that if you deposit 1,000 AUD, you can stake a maximum of 30,000 AUD in trade. This maximum leverage is lower for some instruments.
Professional clients have a maximum leverage of 1:400.
eToro Account Types
eToro offers two account types: retail traders account and professional traders account. Each type has features that are unique to it.
eToro also offers traders Islamic Account features and a demo account with $100,000 virtual money that beginners can use to become familiar with trading before they put real money into it.
Below, you will find the main features of each account type on eToro:
1) Retail Account: The eToro Retail Account is designed for retail traders who are new to CFDs trading or have intermediate experience. It is the default account you create on eToro when you first sign up, and it can be accessed on the eToro WebTrader and mobile app.
You can trade CFDs in stocks, forex, commodities, indices, and ETFs with the eToro Retail Account.
This account does not pay any commission fees for opening or closing trade positions, except when trading cryptocurrencies, in which case a 1% fee applies. Spreads start at 1 pip for major currency pairs like EURUSD and swap fees are charged for holding leveraged positions overnight.
The maximum leverage available to retail clients on the eToro platform is 1:30 for major currency pairs, 1:20 for non-major currency pairs, major indices, and gold, 1:10 for non-major indices and commodities except gold, 1:5 for CFD stocks, and 1:2 for cryptocurrencies.
2) Professional Account: The eToro Professional Account is for more experienced traders who trade larger volumes and can handle more risk.
Professional Accounts are available only to those who meet the requirements. You must meet the criteria and apply for an upgrade from a Retail Account, which is your default account upon signing up.
This account can also be accessed on the WebTrader and mobile application and you can trade CFDs on stocks, indices, commodities, forex, and ETFs.
The main distinguishing factor of the Professional account from the Retail account is the increased leverage with which you can trade.
Professional accounts do not pay commission fees, except on crypto assets trade, and their spread for major currency pairs starts from 1 pip. They also pay swap fees for holding a position open overnight.
The maximum leverage for professional accounts on eToro is 1:400, and these accounts do not enjoy all the protections that retail accounts do.
You need to meet at least 2 of the following conditions before applying for a professional account:
- You need to have at least 1 year’s experience working in the financial services sector.
- You need a financial portfolio of more than 500,000 EUR or its equivalent in AUD
- You must have completed at least 10 significant trades each quarter during the last 12 months.
Note that you will be required to provide documents to prove the above criteria and you can also apply to downgrade your account from professional to retail at any time.
3) Islamic Account: eToro offers Islamic Account features to Muslim traders, which is in line with sharia law.
You can apply to convert your Retail or Professional account to an Islamic Account, you will still have the same features as regular Retail or Professional account, only with added Islamic features.
What distinguishes the eToro Islamic Account is that you can hold a position open for as long as you want and will not have to pay overnight swap fees. You will also have interest-free leverage and spreads start from 3 pips for major pairs like EURUSD.
To apply for an Islamic Account, open a Real Account with eToro, verify your account, deposit a minimum of $1,000 and contact customer support to apply for an Islamic account.
Note that you will be required to submit additional verification documents before your Islamic account is approved.
eToro Base Account Currency
When you sign up for an eToro trading account in Australia, by default your account base currency will be USD. However, you can make deposits in AUD (Australian Dollar) and the funds will be converted automatically to USD. Other currencies accepted for deposit are EUR and GBP.
eToro Overall Fees
Depending on your account type, the instruments you trade, and the volume of your trades, you may be charged different fees. See an overview of our trading and non-trading fees on eToro below.
1) Spreads: Trades on eToro carry a spread, which is the difference between the buy and sell price of an instrument, called pips. Spreads vary depending on the instrument pair being traded, as well as your account type.
eToro operates a variable spreads system, and typical spreads on eToro’s Retail Account for major currency pairs can be seen in the table below:
2) Commission fees: eToro offers commission-free trading for all instruments, except a 1% fee on cryptocurrencies trade. This means you will not have to pay any commission fees for opening or closing trade positions for other instruments except cryptocurrencies, this is applicable to all account types.
3) Swap fees: Whenever you keep a trade position open for more than 24 hours you pay rollover swap fees which are added to your profit or loss on the trade.
Islamic Accounts are not required to pay any swap fees.
1) Deposit and Withdrawal fees: Deposits on eToro are free of charge for all payment methods. All withdrawals on eToro attract a $5 flat fee. This applies to all account types.
2) Account Inactivity charges: If you do not log in to your account for 12 consecutive months, eToro will charge $10 monthly on the balance in your account as a dormant account fee.
3) Currency Conversion Fee: Due to eToro’s platform being in US dollars, when you deposit a currency other than the USD, the funds are converted to US dollars and a conversion fee is charged. The fee is about 0.5% of the transaction value.
How to Open eToro Account in UK?
To start trading on eToro Australia, follow the steps below to open an account:
Step 1) Go to the eToro website homepage at www.etoro.com and click on ‘Start Investing’
You can choose to signup with your Facebook or Google account directly.
Step 3) Go to your email inbox and click the email verification link sent to you to continue the account opening process on eToro. You will be redirected to the eToro dashboard and required to verify your account.
Step 4) To verify your account, click on ‘Verify’, you will be required to complete your profile by supplying your full name, answering some questions about your trading experience, verifying your phone number, and uploading proof of identity and address verification documents, after which your account will be verified.
eToro Deposits & Withdrawals
Payment methods supported for deposits and withdrawals on eToro are cards, e-wallets like Skrill & Neteller, and online bank transfers.
Find details about eToro deposits/withdrawals in the UK below:
What is eToro Minimum deposit?
The minimum deposit on eToro is $10 for first deposits via cards and e-wallets while bank transfers require a minimum deposit of $500.
Cards and e-wallets deposits are credited within a few minutes while bank transfers take 4-7 business days to be processed, you can send a screenshot of your transfer to customer support for them to process it faster.
What is eToro Minimum withdrawal?
The minimum withdrawal on eToro is $30. Withdrawals via e-wallets are processed within 2 business days while it takes up to 10 business days to process funds withdrawals to cards and bank accounts.
How do I Deposit Funds?
To deposit funds to eToro UK, follow these steps:
Step 1) Log in to your eToro Account via the eToro website homepage or go to etoro.com/login.
Step 2) On your eToro dashboard, click on ‘Deposit Funds’.
Step 3) Enter the amount you want to deposit, select a payment method and your deposit currency then click on ‘Deposit’.
How to Withdraw Funds from eToro in UK?
Follow the steps below to withdraw money from your eToro account.
Step 1) Log in to your account dashboard.
Step 2) Select ‘Withdraw Funds’ on the left side menu, enter the amount you want to withdraw, and click next.
Step 3) Fill out the withdrawal form and click submit to complete the request. You will be notified by email once your withdrawal has been processed.
eToro Trading Instruments
The financial instruments you can trade on eToro are shown on the table below:
|Forex||Yes||49 currencies pairs on eToro (majors and minors)|
|Commodities||Yes||32 spot commodities on eToro (NatGas, Copper, Oil and others)|
|ETFs||Yes||264 ETFs on eToro (QQQJ, DBA, AMZA, and others)|
|Indices||Yes||13 spot indices on eToro (AUS200, China50, US100, and others)|
|Stocks||Yes||2,702 stocks on eToro (US and Hong Kong stocks)|
|Cryptocurrencies||Yes||63 Cryptocurrencies on eToro (BTC, LTC, ETH, and others)|
eToro Trading Platforms
eToro platform for trading is the proprietary platform owned by the broker which is available on the web and mobile devices (Android and iOS).
eToro does not support the MetaTrader application for trading.
eToro allows users to copy the trades of more experienced traders as well as professional investors in their social trading network.
Traders’ successes and failures ratios are displayed publicly, and you can see their risk scores and popularity so you can decide which ones to copy or avoid. Popular Investors earn commissions on trades made by the traders that copied them.
To become a Popular Investor on the eToro, you must have at least one person copying your trade for at least two months, with a maximum daily risk score of 6 for six months and an investment of $1,000 or more. Then you can apply to become a Popular Investor.
To start copy-trading on eToro, you need to open an account with a minimum investment of $200. The minimum trade amount you can open is $1, with a maximum copy traded value of $2 million.
To begin copying eToro professionals, choose ‘Discover’ on the left-hand side of your dashboard, and scroll down to ‘CopyTrader.’ Select the professional trader from whom you want to copy trades. Input the amount you wish to allocate, and click Copy.
Once you have done that, the system will automatically duplicate their trades in real-time and in proportion to the amount you have set.
The eToro club is a membership system by eToro that offers specialized services to members based on the equity traded.
Membership of eToro’s Club is determined based on your equity, with silver, gold, platinum, platinum+ and diamond membership plans.
The minimum equity value required for you to become a member is $5,000 for the silver membership and $250,000 for the diamond membership plan. The membership is activated once you reach the $5,000 mark, you do not have to apply.
benefits of the eToro club include access to live chat, live webinars, an invitation to exclusive events, weekly market analysis, and zero withdrawal fees among others.
Note that your membership plan will be downgraded if your equity falls below the required amount. You will have a grace period of 3 months before the downgrade.
eToro UK Customer Service
Customer support for eToro clients is offered via the following channels:
1) Live chat support:The eToro live chat support is available from 19:00 on Sunday to 20:30 on Friday GMT. This customer support option is only available to registered users.
2) Email/Ticket support: eToro offers email support to all customers via the customer service page of their website. You can open a ticket by filling out the inquiry form or send a direct message to the eToro email address at [email protected]
The eToro email support is available on business days only.
3) Help Centre: eToro has a Help Center section on their website which features answers to frequently asked questions and provides information with articles on the features of the trading platform and trading conditions.
4) eToro Phone support: eToro does not offer any phone call support to clients in the UK.
Do we Recommend eToro Australia?
We recommend you try eToro because they are regulated in Australia by ASIC and other top-tier financial regulators. However, there are other brokers regulated in Australia that offer better trading conditions.
The copytrading feature on eToro appeals to many of the platform’s users, as does their ability to trade cryptocurrencies. They also have a user-friendly interface.
eToro’s customer support is quite limited, as they are not available 24/7, and the live chat option is restricted to eToro club members.
eToro Australia FAQs
Is eToro Trustworthy?
eToro is considered trustworthy because they are regulated by the Australian Securities & Investment Commission (ASIC), the Financial Conduct Authority in the UK, another Tier 1 regulator, as well as Cyprus Securities & Exchange Commission (CySEC). This means that the broker is in compliance with global standards to protect the funds of traders.
Is eToro safe for Beginners?
eToro is a good option for beginners because they offer a demo account which you can use to get accustomed to trading and an educational resource where you can grow your knowledge.
They have negative balance protection so you cannot lose more than the money you have deposited. The minimum deposit is $10, and there are no account inactivity fees until after 12 months.
What is the downside to eToro?
The downside to trading with eToro would be the high non-trading fees such as $5 for every withdrawal, $10 monthly inactive account fees, and the currency conversion fees for non-USD deposits.
The limited customer support options, which are also slow are another downside to eToro.
Note: Your capital is at risk